RE: School Guidance Counselor, September 14, 2014
Dear Mr. McFadden,
As a highly skilled School Guidance Counselor, I read your posting for a new School Guidance Counselor with interest. My experience aligns well with the qualifications you are seeking, in particular my role as a School Guidance Counselor at New Cityland Senior High School, and I am certain I would make a valuable addition to your organization.
With more than 10 years’ experience as a School Guidance Counselor, I am adept in counseling special populations,
recognizing societal and environmental factors affecting learners, and developmental guidance program implementation. Moreover, while my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first-rate problem-solving and communication skills, I excel at:
- Individualized Student Attention
- Behavior Management
- Problem-solving and discussion techniques
- Learning styles Assessment
In addition to my experience and personal qualities, I have a solid educational foundation and a passion for education and social work. Please review my attached resume for additional details regarding my expertise and abilities. I will follow up to request an appointment to discuss how my experience and background meets your needs.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
College Counselor Cover Letter
College Counselors provide assistance and guidance to 3th and 4th year high school students who are interested in pursuing college education. These professionals assess student strengths and aptitudes and make college recommendations, as well as advising on admission procedures. Examples of College Counselor job duties include providing educational guidance, identifying suitable education solutions, recommending courses, monitoring student progress, handling case management, and providing support to at-risk students.
The ideal candidate for this job should be able to demonstrate the following skills and abilities throughout his or her cover letter:
- Educational experience
- Knowledge of college admission procedures
- Networking and interpersonal skills
- Counseling skills
- Psychology training
- Effective communication
- Computer competences
- An interest in helping others
Those interested in a College Counselor job can check comparable skills and experience in the sample cover letter displayed just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive College Counselor Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a College Counselor, check out our more complete College Counselor Job Description.
Dear Ms. Powell:
Upon learning of McKinley College’s search for a new College Counselor, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. As an enthusiastic and motivated professional with more than 12 years of experience in academic advising and support at the post-secondary level, I am confident that I would be a valuable asset to your school in this role.
My background includes excellent experience in a counselor role with Adams University, evaluating student performances and recommending optimal programs and courses to help them achieve their personal objectives. Excelling at connecting with a broad range of individuals—including those from varying cultural and socioeconomic situations—I continually leverage my outstanding interpersonal skills to build empathic relationships with students and appropriately advise them on program selection and overall goal determination.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Providing academic counseling and planning support to diverse student populations—including IEP students, ESL students, first-generation college students, and students of low socio-economic status.
- Coordinating a full range of academic advisory responsibilities, including registration, event management, transfer credits, class schedules, enrollment/withdrawal, and financial aid.
- Conducting academic progress audits to track and evaluate students’ academic progress and performances.
- Experience in working with traditional, non-traditional, domestic and international students.
- Driving the planning and implementation of student orientations, program information sessions, academic workshops, and other related college events.
- Referring students needing extra support or assistance to appropriate site resources.
- Guiding, mentoring, and supporting students through academic, cultural, social, and immigration transitions to facilitate positive and beneficial foreign student experiences.
- Outstanding presentation, collaboration, and interpersonal abilities.
- Holding a Master’s degree in Educational Counseling from the University of South Carolina.
With my strong background and my demonstrated commitment to supporting and advising college students to meet their academic goals, I am well prepared to extend my record of service to McKinley College. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you further. Thank you for your consideration.
Nicholas B. Jones